Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Cedar Rapids: Sac & Fox, Wanatee, Wickiup

I've been out skiing Sac & Fox, Wanatee, and Wickiup in the past week. 

Sac & Fox has a single-wide packed track without any ski tracks in it. That has been overtaken by snowshoers. Portions of the trail have worn-in ski tracks from numerous skiers using the same trail. 

Wanatee was ungroomed. I called Linn County Conservation on Tuesday, and they said the grooming machine is broken for Wanatee and Matsell Bridge. They did not have any estimate on when that would be fixed.

Wickiup had been packed once after the initial snowfall last week, but it was completely drifted over when I skied there on Tuesday. I saw on https://www.skinnyski.com today that it had been tracked this afternoon.  

I continue to post updates almost daily on https://www.skinnyski.com and encourage other local skiers to do the same. It takes 30 seconds to post a quick update from your phone when you get back to your car after a ski.  

If anyone who reads this is located in Linn County and would like to join me in advocating for better and more consistent grooming of our ski trails, you can contact me at ebaertlein at gmail dot com.  

~Betsy Baertlein